An organisation-wide programme to build a culture of safety and quality by empowering staff to support each other and raise concerns
The Speaking Up for Safety™ programme helps healthcare organisations overcome entrenched behaviours that can lead to poor patient outcomes. The programme achieves culture change from within, normalising collegiate two-way communication to prevent unintended patient harm.
Every member of staff from the most senior clinician to the most junior nurse will develop the skills and insights to respectfully raise issues with colleagues when they are concerned about a patient’s safety.
Graded assertiveness model
Using a graded assertiveness communication model and common language called the Safety C.O.D.E.™, the programme increases the ease and motivation for staff to speak up and be spoken up to. This results in a culture where staff are comfortable to ‘check’ each other and welcome being ‘checked’ by others. The programme can be implemented in a single unit through to the entire organisation.
Sustainability through train-the-trainer
The Speaking Up for Safety programme is delivered as a licensed train-the-trainer programme. This enables organisations to build the internal capability to train staff and change culture. Having the message of speaking up come from within an organisation is a powerful way to show leadership commitment to embedding a culture where speaking up is the norm.
The programme lays an essential foundation to ensure a culture of accountability can be effectively developed across the health service. Our experienced faculty will work with your organisation to:
- engage with leadership to ensure their commitment and understanding
- support implementation planning and logistics
- identify, train and quality assure in-house presenters to successfully deliver the programme
- provide tools and resources to promote and communicate the programme within your organisation
- share our experience and lessons learnt from other healthcare organisations.
Who should attend
Talk to our team
Download course brochure
Increasing the ease and motivation for clinicians to raise patient safety concerns with colleagues through graded assertiveness communication skills training.
- Achieve culture change within healthcare organisations by increasing the ease and motivation for clinicians to ‘speak up for safety’
- Develop insights and skills to respectfully raise issues with colleagues when they are concerned about a patient’s safety